Thursday 13 June 2013

Unit 10

Unit 10
Personal Selling in Business


Personal selling is when businesses use people to sell their products after face to face with a customer. The main objective of a business is to make money/profit. And how they do it? By selling products or services. 

P1 - I will describe a role of sales staff. 

Roles of sales staff are different in different organisations. I will give examples of some primary roles of sales staff:

Selling goods/services - they need to provide the best possible customer service, need to be a good listener to know what are the customers need, be polite and knowledge of product/service is needed. 

Establishing customer requirements - need to know price and availability of a product, need to listen for the futures that customers require, maybe they look for some offers such as additional benefits like buy one get second half price or buy one get one free

Matching goods/services to customer requirements - knowledge of customer requirements will make everything easier for you and finally find the product that customer want and need.

First point of contact - greeting and welcoming customers in nice and polite way when walk in to the store.

Provide information - need to provide information about the product or service that customer requires.

Developing customer care - care about customer, ask if they feel okay today, what they are looking for and how you can help them

Gather feedback - ask about written feedback, give out a form or ask them if they can go onlie to give you feedback

Promoting product - if new products are around the store, get known about them and offer to the customers

Cross sell - seller can offer extra product to the customer that is related to the product they are buying

P2 -  I will identify techniques used when making personal sales.

Cold calling - customer does not expect a call, unexpected call to make a new business, offer product.

Face to face selling - this could be a call to gather a feedback or to offer a new product and offers within the store.

Drop-in visits - to sell a product to a small shop or a householder, 'door to door'.

Telemarketing - call potential customer by phone, usually from a call centre.

Inward calls - calls which are responded to the customer enquiry.

Outward/Outbound call - call to the customer to sell product or service.


P3 -  I will explain the knowlegde and skills used when making personal sales.


Good sales habits - greet, contact, respond to every customer in positive way, say "Good morning/afternoon", deal with customers, smile and keep up positive attitude, listen to the customer.

Good sales technique - offer up sale or cross sale, be honest, offer products that might be interested for a customer.

Product knowledge - make you job easier and more successful, know full range of product, such as: features, price etc.

Keeping up to date - knowledge about new offers coming.

The ability to close a sale - the knowledge of how to persuade the customer, show the product they are looking for and make them to purchase it.

Rewarding and motivating staff - people with enthusiasm are happy people, should be reworded for their effort,

Inwardly motivated to sell - sales person should be keen to achieve goals, should be happy about their work, well self motivated, should be rewarded as well: bonuses, extra holidays.

P4/P5 - Role play

M1 - I will explain the role of sales staff and the techniques they use.

As a sales person you should always smile, be ready to work, have a good knowledge about the products you sell and help the customers to find what they want. You should always work well to get an excellent feedback from a customer you served. 

Sales people are very important for every business because they are facing customers problems or requirements and help them to find what they need and want. If your business has got very well trained and honest sales people this allow you to have more profit and make more money as well as you will get a good reputation and good feedback about your business.

Initial contact - this is a very first point of contact with every customer that comes to your store, this is very important that sales people deliver an excellent customer service to the customer and this will give you and your business a chance that the client would come back to buy more items from your store or to use your service again. 

Promoting products - sales person should know how to promote a product, he/she needs to talk nicely and use good language to encourage a customer to buy a product.

Advise a customer - sales person should advise a customers in order to their requirements and needs. 

Sales staff use different types of techniques to encourage a customer and to get a sale. Here is a list of them:


Cold calling - customer does not expect a call, unexpected call to make a new business, offer product.

Face to face selling - this could be a call to gather a feedback or to offer a new product and offers within the store.

Drop-in visits - to sell a product to a small shop or a householder, 'door to door'.

Telemarketing - call potential customer by phone, usually from a call centre.

Inward calls - calls which are responded to the customer enquiry.

Outward/Outbound call - call to the customer to sell product or service.



M2 - I will compare the selling skills and process used in different situations. I am going to write about two situations, one is over a phone and the other is face to face. 

In both situations over a phone and face to face, sales person should greet a customer with a good manner, because a customer will feel important for an organisation. It makes a good impression on a customer and they could feel more welcome. You need to listen your customer very carefully and have very good listening skills, by that you will be able to help a customer. When you will no listen your customer properly, they might give you details wrong and that will be just a waste of time, and you also may give them information about a wrong products which will lead a problem such as, customer might go to you competitor. As an example, when customer want to buy a phone he or she would tell what kind of phone the customer is looking for and then you will be able to tell them what kind of phone you have and if the one they want is available, its features that the customer is looking for. It is obvious that you need to have very good speaking skills which will help you to understand a customers correctly and give them out the information they are looking for. You need to use special type of language, to persuade and encourage a customer to buy such a product. Positive attitude and good knowledge about a product is also very important. You are also may ask questions to get lots of information about a product a customer wants to purchase.

D1 - Part of a role play

D2 - I will evaluate the preparation, skills and process of a sale that has been made in my role play.

In my role play I had to prepare three scenarios, one of them was a phone call to make an appointment, the other one was a drop-in visit to give an information about my service to the customer and the last one was a phone call to confirm that a customer is going to accept my offer and use my service.

Me and my partner were very confident and we clearly knew what we need to prepare and how we need to demonstrate our skills. We practiced a lot before the teacher was filming it. We were very nervous but when it came to a situation we relaxed and get on with it really quickly.

In the first scene, my customer (Kim) called me to ask of she can make an appointment to discuss about my service and about her wedding. I greeted her and I asked how can I help her. I wrote down the time and date of an appointment with a customer. I asked for a contact details and remind date and time of an appointment. 

In face to face seen I also greeted my customer with a smile. I asked if she wants something to drink, and then I gave her cup of coffee. I asked my customer if she has any ideas about her wedding, she replied that she has no idea, she did not find anything interesting for her in magazines yet. I presented her my service, in details, what we do, what kind of service we have, how much money do I take etc. I told my customer to have a think and give a call in couple of days and tell what she has decided. 

In last phone call scene my customer called me, I greeted her as always, asked how is she etc. I asked my customer if she had a think and what she decided. She told me that she is going to accept my offer so I told her to come to my office to discuss about the details of her wedding. She gave me time and date when she is available to come and I noted it down. 

We did a very good job together. I am really proud of myself and my partner. I did not know that we will be really confident with this task. We achieved most of our criteria for this task such as identifying need of a customer, give out proper information, listen carefully to customers requirements, did up or cross sale. I think I showed good customer service skills which I gained at work. Previous experience helped me a lot with this task. The think that I could improve next time would be more of up or cross selling and give more detailed information and I should have ask her more questions.  






No comments:

Post a Comment